Monday 4 October 2010

History re-written (or re-pictured).

In June this year, my wife and I took another trip to Co Clare, this time the intention was to make some video recordings of Whitegate and the Cliffs of Moher. I already knew that the photographs I took in Whitegate the previous year were NOT of the house my grandmother was born and grew up in - that was down the road towards Mountshannon in a hamlet called Gweeneeny. So the first task this year was to correct the previous year's error and photograph the pub which my great grandfather ran in the late 1800's.

While we were in Gweeneeny, I visited another local researcher who had collected details of my grandmother's local school records (Lakyle National School). I was able to photograph the school records for my grandmother and each of her siblings at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th.

Unfortunately, further research at Ennis Library did not produce any further information about either the Allisons, or the Hutchinsons. But I was able to have a look at my great grandfather's last home on the outskirts of Limerick. He moved here sometime between 1901 and 1911 and died here in 1923.

No comments:

Post a Comment